Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Listed: Stop the Insanity

This New Year’s Day I was pretty ambitious and actually set a few New Year resolutions.  One of which is based on Einstein’s definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  I am a creature of habit and always follow a routine.  This lifestyle doesn’t pair well with a desire to grow, learn and advance so I challenged myself become more introspective in order to learn where I can make some changes in my life to see results I want.  An example is that I would like to update my “look.”  I’ve had the same haircut and make up since high school and have wanted a change SEVERAL times yet I don’t DO anything about it.  Until this year!  I have already faced this issue and recently got HIGHLIGHTS!  Big step for me.  Coming full circle, I am sharing this resolution with you because I plan to share several of my “insane” acts and how I am breaking the cycle and making some changes.  All of these posts will have the title LISTED: Stop the Insanity.

Today I will share a recent change I made.  It all started one night when I was working an event that required me to change from day clothes (worn while we set up) to cocktail attire.  Guests were about to arrive and it was time for our wardrobe change.  My boss and I go up to our offices and change quickly.  I was ready before her so I just sat patiently in her office until she was all dolled up.  It was time for her to fix her hair and all of the sudden she pulled out this:


I’m sure some of you are confused because it’s just an old round brush but at the time, it was FULL of blond hair and so gross that I couldn’t hold back laughter.  She knew right away why I was laughing and said “Oh yea, my husband can’t stand that I use this.”  Still laughing I asked her “Why don’t you just get a new one? That is really terrible.”  I admit it.  I judged her.

The next morning I’m I rush home from working out to shower and race to work.  Post shower I always brush my hair and then use a comb to get my part juuuuust right.  It always takes me at least a minute to find this comb and as I was getting frustrated in my hunt that day it hit me that I too have a few things I need to replace!  Take a look at this comb:




Cost: Maybe a dollar 
Purchase date: 2004
Condition: Missing handle and pieces

Finally I find the dumb thing and I start to look around and notice several simple, cheap things I could easily replace that would make my life a heck of a lot easier.  It made me laugh out loud thinking about some of the things I have horded throughout my life.  You all know you have something that falls into this category. The worst I have seen recenely was the use of a lip gloss from the Limited Too.  That thing was at least eight years old.  I would love to read a book on why people get attached to certain things.  Why is it so hard to just go buy another comb?  I seem to have no problem recognizing that the handbag I am carrying is out of style and that its time to purchase another but can’t replace something that would make my day much easier and cost me only a dollar?

To wrap this up, the “insanity” I am breaking away from is revamping my toletries.  Simple enough but has actually been great.  I brought a pen and paper into my bathroom for two days and took notes of things I need to replace or upgrade.  I am slowly conquering my list and encourage all of you to take a second to see if there is anything you use every day (and have for the past ten or so years) that could use an upgrade?!  If you can relate and have a few “softly used” items please share... they really crack me up. 










1 comment:

  1. I have a brush that I bought in 8th grade. Somehow it has made it through every single move of my life since that time! I love it and use it to brush my hair when it's wet...strange routine, but it works.

    ReplyDelete