Thursday, March 17, 2011

Listed: Hey Babycakes!

My younger sister is off to NYC this morning and I am uber jealous.  I spent a summer in the Big Apple and had a blast!  Still a place I could easily relocate to!  It is just full of amazing places to eat, has the best shopping, is so culturally saturated, has an amazing arts scene… you all know these things!  I love visiting!  My friend Berry lives there currently and a few years back during a post Shopsin’s brunch she took us to Babycakes Bakery.  I was in LOVE!  They use the best ingredients and offer vegan and gluten free baked goods.  De-Lish!  I think I got one of everything just to try!  They came out with a cookbook a little while ago (I had it preordered) and I have loved cooking out of it! 

 Over the weekend I had some downtime and decided to make my sister some muffins to get her geared up for her trip!  I was short coconut oil so I had to improvise!  I replaced coconut oil with ¼ cup of Grapeseed oil and half of a small applesauce.  Doing this actually cuts back on the fat/saturated fat and they tasted great!  (not that I don’t like coconut oil!)


Ingredients:
2 cups Spelt Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil (Grape seed oil/ applesauce)
2/3 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup rice milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
2/3 cup fresh blueberries


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the oil, agave nectar, rice milk, vanilla and lemon extract to the dry ingredients, and stir until the batter is smooth. Using a plastic spatula, gently fold in the blueberries just until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.

This is what the batter looked like prior to adding the blueberries.  Almost "runny."



Ta-Da!  Breakfast of Champions!  Next time I will add more blueberries!


I also enjoy their blog!  Sister, if you are reading this... I know they deliver and I know you know where I live...






1 comment:

  1. I saved a babycakes chocolate chip cookie recipe in my recipe folder. Can't wait to try it! Unfortunately they don't sell about half of the ingredients on base!

    ReplyDelete